These days I have really been craving some ‘chiles rellenos’😋 – translated as stuffed chillies. But since poblano chillies are is not in season in Australia🇦🇺, I used its dry version which is easier to get.
The ancho chilli🌶 is a dried poblano, and although it is not very spicy, it is one of my favourites for salsas along with the chipotle, which is the dry version of the jalapeño.😁
This recipe not only combines two of my favourite dried chillies, but it is also very simple to prepare and has a spectacular sweet and smoky flavour🤩👌
What filling do you prefer to use for the stuffed chillies?
Stuffed Ancho Chillies
- 4 ancho chillies
- 3 big size potatoes
- 1 tomato
- ¼ white or brown onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 250 gr vegan feta cheese substitute with any crumble cheese
- 1 avocado
- Vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the salsa:
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ white or brown onion
- 2 chipotle chilli in adobo
- ½ cup veggie stock
- With a knife carefully open the chilies so that it is like a pocket, remove the veins and seeds.
- Heat about a litre and a half of water in a pot, once it boils turn off the heat and add the ancho chiles. Let them hydrate for about ten minutes. Once hydrated, drain and reserve.
- Dice the potatoes, one tomato and the cheese into cubes, finely chop a garlic clove and a quarter of an onion.
- Heat a little oil over medium heat and add the onion until transparent then add the garlic and tomato, mix for about 2 or 3 minutes and add the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste, stir and cook for about 5 more minutes, turn off the heat and add the cheese.
- For the salsa, char the tomatoes, garlic and the remaining onion evenly and then blend together with the veggie stock a bit of salt and chipotle chillies.
- Fill the ancho chillies with the potato stew and serve with the chipotle salsa and avocado on top.
- ¡Buen provecho!